Via The Wall Street Journal
WASHINGTON—The Federal Bureau of Investigation has opened an investigation into who disclosed information about a classified U.S. cyberattack program aimed at Iran’s nuclear facilities, according to two people familiar with the probe.
The investigation follows publication last week of details of the cyber-sabotage program, including the use of a computer worm called Stuxnet, which Iran has acknowledged it found in its computers.
The Central Intelligence Agency ran the operation in conjunction with Idaho National Laboratory, the Israeli government and other U.S. agencies, according to people familiar with the efforts. The covert effort also includes persistent drone surveillance and cyberspying on Iranian scientists, the people said.
The New York Times on Friday published the account of the U.S. cyberattack operation in an excerpt from a forthcoming book by one of its reporters, David Sanger. Other news organizations, including The Wall Street Journal, followed up with details about the program.
Paul Bresson, an FBI spokesman, declined to comment.
The probe comes on the heels of another leak investigation involving revelations about a double agent who infiltrated al Qaeda’s Yemen affiliate. FBI Director Robert Mueller told lawmakers recently that the FBI was looking into how news leaked about the double agent and a new generation underwear bomb that the al Qaeda affiliate had hoped to use in an airliner attack.
The Associated Press, which first reported the Yemen news, has said it held the news for several days at the government’s request.